Thursday 22 December 2011

Deploying UltimateLAMP to ESXi

After downloading UltimateLAMP, I wanted to copy the VM to my ESXi server. I downloaded it to my MacBook that is running Mac OS X Lion. As VMware Infrastructure Client and VMware vCenter Converter Standalone is only available on Windows, I had to start my Windows XP VM on my MacBook in VMware Fusion.

Every time, when I wanted to use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to convert UltimateLAMP to my ESXi Server I got the following error:

Es können keine Hardwareinformationen für die ausgewählte Maschine abgerufen werden.
Also uploading the UltimateLAMP VM to my ESXi via VMware Infrastructure Client didn't work. The upload was successful and I was able to add the VMX file, but I couldn't start the VM in ESXi.

UltimateLAMP was all the time in my download folder in Mac OS X and Windows XP was just accessing it through a shared folder configured in VMware Fusion. The solution was, to copy the UltimateLAMP VM into my Windows XP VM and then I could use the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to copy it to my ESXi server without any errors.

A little circuitous, but UltimateLAMP is now also running as a VM :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment